Initiative promoting better urban development for housing conditions in low-income communities of Taipei
OURS is an academic foundation focused on research and project development for institutions that help people without a home or with homes in bad conditions.
It was founded in 1987, right after the Martial law was cancelled in Taiwan and it became a free democratic country.
OURS was inspired by the Snail Without Shell movement, a social protest against the Government housing and urban policies that claimed for better conditions for the low-income districts during the late 80s.
- A housing justice campaign called “Nest Movement”, which gathered together a Social Housing Advocacy Consortium and 101 NGOs and activists
- Increased concern among politicians about social housing policies
Did you know?
“Snail without shell” is the direct translation of the Chinese expression to name people without a house. When Taiwan became a free country, citizens used this expression to protest against bad housing conditions of a big part of the population and for their right to have a decent home.
Sustainability and Replicability
- Sustainability is a cross-cutting subject to all aspects of urban life
- Experiments are healthy for building an open village
- Dynamic conservation goes beyond protecting houses: it is about preserving people’s way of living
When researchers, activists and artists work together, they can make a government turn their unfair politics upside-down.